Types of evidence for your portfolio

Your assessor may ask you to put together a portfolio of evidence, which is a formal collection of documentary evidence that you have obtained during your learning, your career experience, unpaid work, relevant personal interests, and professional development. The more current the evidence, the more useful it is for the purposes of your application for Skills Recognition. However, there is no hard and fast rule about currency; it depends on the competencies that you are applying for. Your assessor will be able to advise you how recent your evidence needs to be.

Your assessor will probably provide you with a list of suggested evidence for your portfolio. You may also want to consider the ideas listed here:

Certifications, formal qualifications, internal training:

  • evidence of courses or training completed in or outside work. These could be certificates, diplomas or degrees, diplomas or certified transcripts of grades and subjects/courses undertaken (certified statements of results). These may have been gained through formal training, Skills Recognition or internal training within an organisation. Examples include Senior First Aid certificate or completion of a higher-grade medical aid course (such as Workplace Level 2 First Aid) conducted within Australia.

licences or tickets held:

  • e.g. First Aid, forklift license, heavy vehicle driving licenses, Site competencies (could include Yellow card, RISSI card, Mine Inductions, White Card (Construction Induction), Restricted Electrical Licence Training etc.).

Workshop, conference or training programs:

  • certificates of attendance, handouts etc. that confirm your attendance as a participant, or role as a facilitator

Workplace documents:

  • resumes, logbooks portfolios or e-portfolios: listing work history, key responsibilities, current skills, and other relevant experience
  • industry or merit awards
  • position descriptions (job specifications)
  • employment contracts which detail your job specifications
  • performance development (appraisal) plans
  • project or work activity reports: photographs or audio-visual recordings of activities conducted.
  • media articles: about you in the workplace, or the projects or in the teams which provides evidence of skills. e.g. journals or diaries, work notes, emails or correspondence written by you, minutes of meetings relating to your duties, completed worksheets (task-sheets, job-sheets), attendance records, logbooks, budgets, recent payslips that indicate your job level.

Documentary evidence for skills obtained through unpaid or voluntary work

  • relevant voluntary work: e.g. you may be a volunteer in a community-based Emergency Service.
  • relevant experiences in community organisations or professional bodies: e.g. you may have been a treasurer in an organisation, which demonstrates the trust in which you are held. Experience in coaching sports or other teams may provide evidence of the competencies required for line management or supervision roles.

Third party evidence

  • third party reports or testimonials: Another person may be able to write a detailed description of you competencies in the workplace. Your assessor may request that third party reports are certified by an authorised person (see under Frequently Asked Questions), or accompanied by a statutory declaration, signed and witnessed appropriately. A template for a standard third part report is included at the end of this section.
  • feedback or letters of appreciation from clients or partners or employers
  • supporting documents: emails or letters of support from employers, colleagues or community groups
  • membership of professional associations or community groups
  • referees: contact details of colleagues, clients or community representatives who are willing to be contacted to verify the applicant's information.

The more clear and organised your portfolio of evidence is, the easier it will be for your assessor to work with. If you need assistance to collect and present useful, relevant evidence to support your application for SR, discuss this with your assessor.